Conduct system testing
Conduct system testing to identify vulnerabilities prior to release. Untested systems can allow vulnerabilities to be released into production environments.
Why this countermeasure matters
Fraudsters could take advantage of untested systems to create loopholes (defects) for:
- facilitating fraudulent payments
- accessing, manipulating or releasing sensitive information
- erasing records of their activities to avoid detection.
How to put this countermeasure in place
Some ways to implement this countermeasure include:
- testing all new systems or system updates as part of the ICT systems lifecycle or change management process
- conducting user acceptance testing to test for fraud risks or control vulnerabilities
- adhering to the requirements under the Protective Security Policy Framework
- referring to the Australian Government Information Security Manual for guidelines on system and change management
- performing vulnerability assessments and penetration testing on systems.
How to measure this countermeasure's effectiveness
Measure the effectiveness of this countermeasure by using the following methods:
- Undertake a desktop review of testing policies and processes to confirm that clear and consistent processes exists.
- Confirm that testing processes meet accepted policies and standards.
- Confirm that the results of system testing is documented and review the documentation.
- Consult subject matter experts on testing processes and systems to evaluate their understanding and thoughts about fraud control.
- Confirm that testing processes would identify specific types of vulnerabilities such as malicious code.
- Conduct a system walkthrough by having staff show you the process.
- Review who has access to perform testing.
- Review the system permissions needed to perform testing.
- Confirm that testing environments accurately replicate production environments.
- Review how the results of system testing is reported.
- Confirm that defects or other issues are adequately resolved.
- Confirm that post-production testing also occurs.