Report fraud to the relevant entity if you are the victim of fraud, witness fraud or suspect fraud.
The Commonwealth Fraud Prevention Centre has no investigatory role and cannot investigate fraud.
The below information may point you in the right direction to report fraud or seek other help.
I want to report fraud against the Commonwealth Government
You can report fraud directly to the relevant entity:
- Report suspected Medicare, welfare and child support fraud to Services Australia.
- Report suspected Tax or Super fraud to the ATO.
- Report suspected Health or Aged Care Provider fraud to the Department of Health.
- Report suspected Child Care Provider fraud to the Department or Education, Skills and Employment.
- Report suspected National Disability Insurance Scheme fraud to the National Disability Insurance Agency.
- Report visa scams to the Department of Home Affairs.
- Report veterans' entitlements fraud to the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
I want to report fraud against an individual, private business or a state or territory government entity
Contact your local state or territory police on 131 444 or by their website:
- Australian Capital Territory Police
- New South Wales Police
- Northern Territory Police
- Queensland Police
- South Australia Police
- Victoria Police
- Western Australia Police
- Tasmania Police.
You may also be able to report fraud directly to a relevant state or territory government entity.
I want to report a crime anonymously
Submit a written report through the Crime Stoppers website
I want to report an email, online or telephone scam (including scams from interstate or overseas)
Submit a written report through SCAMwatch.
I want to report a financial/investment scam or fraud
I am a victim of fraud and want help
There are always people you can turn to for support if you are a victim of fraud.
- Call 000 if your life is in danger
- Contact Lifeline for 24/7 crisis support on 13 11 14 or by the online chat.
- Contact IDCARE (1300 432 273) if you have concerns about your identity or related cyber security.
Process for Australian Government officials who want to report fraud
You must follow your entity’s rules and policies which may include referring fraud reports to the Australian Federal Police.